Monday, July 21, 2008

Great Finds!

A few weeks ago we cleaned out our shed, and I finally found items I thought were lost and gone forever. At this time of year, we reflect upon and celebrate the journey of our ancestors' trek and their arrival into the Great Salt Lake Valley. I discovered a copy of a letter that was written by my great-grandmother, Anelia Carter Van Ausdal in March 1931; the 89th anniversary of the Relief Society. It was placed in a strong box, which was engraved, "This box is to be opened on the anniversary of the Relief Society in the year 1981. I was truly relieved to find this wonderful document. I am thrilled to have the testimony of this great woman and her expression of love for the gospel of Jesus Christ. I scanned and forwarded it to my siblings, and I hope they enjoy it as much as I do.

Anelia's parents, William Furlsbury Carter and Roxena Mecham Carter were asked to stay in Iowa until 1849 or 1850, as he was a blacksmith and was asked to stay and prepare the wagons, horses and equipment of other emigrants. They arrived in Utah in 1850 in time to be included on the census of the Great Salt Lake County.

The picture above is of my great-grandfather and great-grandmother, William Miller Van Ausdal and Anelia Carter Van Ausdal. They were married 21 April 1890, this is a photo of them taken sometime after their marriage.

4 comments:

Jenna said...

That is really neat, Raelene! I'm glad it wasn't lost! I love old family pictures. And I like your profile pic so much better. You looked so MAD in the other one! :)

Sarah said...

WOW! That is so neat! I enjoy looking at old photos and reading what people had to say so many years ago! I think mostly because of what they must have gone through. It amazes me. I think I take for granted the fact that my ancestors went through such hard times so that I can be where I am today. Thanks for sharing this treasure!

Unknown said...

I love your web site. My great great grandmother was also Roxena Mecham Carter. Thank you for the pictures and history of our family.

carterconnection said...

I am also a descendant of Roxena Mecham Carter. I love that you have information.
There are a bunch of the descendants that are setting up a blog about that family, we would love to include any information you have. You can contact us at edwardfcarterconnection@gmail.com the blog is edwardfcarterconnection.blogspot.com

Thanks so much for putting information about Roxanna on your blog. We will probably be linking up. Hope you don't mind.