Friday, August 1, 2008

Close Call


Last night someone came to the door just before I was going to go out and put the hens up for the night. After our guest left so did my thoughts of what I needed to do, sooo I didn't get out there until after dark. I opened the gate and went out back, then I saw her...our friendly skunk, about 3 feet from me. I didn't trust that she might be super friendly enough to not let me have it! I backed up and went back in and got the flashlight, made a lot of noise so she would take off. Yowza, I was a little worried there. We enjoy leaving out old eggs, and leftovers for her. She has never "skunked" us in the 6 years we have lived here, but I sure didn't want that to change last night. I lucked out. Here is a picture of her from last year. I was standing by the back door with the window open to take this. How do I know she is a she? She brought her 2 babies last year to eat, and I can tell by her size, compared to the daddy skunk we've seen.

3 comments:

scrappiemom said...

Good job! When I was 9 or 10, I looked under our cabin (in Lakeside) and right there with it's tail up was a skunk! I took off running. Nothing quiet about me then. It is just a funny memory now. Robie.

Aiden T. said...

Wow! Too bad skunks are so stinky because they sure are cute, especially the babies. I loved that about Show Low.

Sarah said...

She looks totally and completely innocent! I don't think she could spray a fly!

BTW...TAG! You're it! Come see my blog to know what I'm talking about!